Recent research published by doctoral researcher, Daniel Edmiston, finds that austerity policies implemented since the ‘Great Recession’ have been highly regressive in the UK. Changes to social security provision have benefited the middle and upper classes, whilst squeezing the incomes of the poorest households in the UK.
We are delighted to announce that Professor Anne Kerr has been awarded a joint Wellcome Trust Senior Investigator Award in Medical Humanities with Professor Sarah Cunningham-Burley from the University of Edinburgh to study 'Translations and transformations in patienthood: cancer in the post-genomics era.'
Dr Sayyid, author of ‘Recalling the Caliphate’, was invited to take part in BBC Radio 4’s Analysis programme entitled, ‘The Idea of the Caliphate’.
- Political Participation of Disabled People in Europe - 26 November 2014, 16:00 - 17:00 | Seminar
- Mediterranean Racisms, connections and complexities in the Mediterranean region - 3 December 2014, 12:30 - 1:30 | Seminar | Center for Ethnicity and Racism Studies (CERS)
- Prof. Yvette Taylor: Creating Citizens, Constructing Religion, Configuring Gender - 3 December 2014, 17:00-18:00 | Seminar
- Between bodies and buildings - 9 December 2014, 13:30-14:30 | Seminar
New courses for 2015
New for 2015 entry, BA Social Policy with Enterprise offers a unique opportunity to study Social Policy alongside Enterprise, combining the social sciences with business.
We have also launched BA/MA in Social and Public Policy which allows you to study both these subject areas achieving Bachelors and Masters qualifcations.
What our students say
"Studying in California was definitely one of the best decisions I've ever made. I used to knowledge learnt to shape my dissertation. I would definitely recommend the experience to anybody; although it might be daunting, it is definitely an adventure you won’t regret." Rachel Woolridge, BA Sociology
- Centre for Disability Studies
- Centre for Ethnicity and Racism Studies
- Centre for Research on Family, Life Course and Generations
- Centre for Interdisciplinary Gender Studies
- The Bauman Institute
- Centre for Health, Technologies and Social Practice
- Centre for International Research on Care, Labour and Equalities