A survey carried out by Dr Teela Sanders says that more than 70% of UK sex workers have previously worked in healthcare, education or charities, while more than a third hold university degrees.
This month Ruth Holliday joined a panel to guest edit a landmark special issue of the journal Social Science and Medicine on the growing phenomenon of Transnational Healthcare.
The celebrated novelist and journalist James Meek explores the human stories behind the incremental privatization of Britain’s assets. The talk will be introduced and chaired by Dr Paton.
- Dr Rodanthi Tzanelli on Slumdog Millionaire - 2 April 2015, 10:30am - 9:00pm | Workshop
- Racialization at Canadian Universities - 21 April 2015, 13:00 - 14:00 | Seminar | Center for Ethnicity and Racism Studies (CERS)
- Images of Inequality in Austerity Britain - 13 May 2015, 12:30 - 13:30 | Seminar
- Farewell to Male Breadwinning: Resurrecting the Socialist Past - 27 May 2015, 12:30 - 13:30 | Seminar | Centre for International Research on Care, Labour and Equalities (CIRCLE)
New courses for 2015
New for 2015 entry, BA Social Policy with Enterprise offers a unique opportunity to study Social Policy alongside Enterprise, combining the social sciences with business.
We have also launched BA/MA in Social and Public Policy which allows you to study both these subject areas achieving Bachelors and Masters qualifcations.
What our students say
"Studying in California was definitely one of the best decisions I've ever made. I used to knowledge learnt to shape my dissertation. I would definitely recommend the experience to anybody; although it might be daunting, it is definitely an adventure you won’t regret." Rachel Woolridge, BA Sociology
- Centre for Disability Studies
- Centre for Ethnicity and Racism Studies
- Centre for Research on Family, Life Course and Generations
- Centre for Interdisciplinary Gender Studies
- The Bauman Institute
- Centre for Health, Technologies and Social Practice
- Centre for International Research on Care, Labour and Equalities