Professor Sue Yeandle
Professor of Sociology and Director, CIRCLE
I came to Leeds in 2006 and am now Director of the Centre for International Research on Care Labour and Equalities (CIRCLE). I am active in a range of research networks outside the university, aim to achieve policy impact for my research through active engagement with external agencies, and lead the University of Leeds' research partnership with Carers UK.
My research interests centre mainly on the relationship between work and family life.
I have led several major research programmes in recent years, including the Gender and Employment in Local Labour Markets research programme (2003-06), the Carers, Employment and Services study (2002-07), and the AKTIVE project (2011-14) which is exploring the role of technology in supporting older people living at home with disabilities and those in their caring networks.
I have a wide range of teaching experience, at both undergraduate and postgraduate level, primarily in social research methods (research design, qualitative methods and policy evaluation), gender and women's studies and applied sociology/social policy.
I am an experienced supervisor of postgraduate research students, and welcome enquiries from prospective students interested in my specialisms and fields of interest, including: women's participation and progress in the labour market; carers and employment; older workers; social inclusion; the social care workforce; and many aspects of local, national and European policy on social care.
- Women’s Working Lives: patterns and strategies, London: Tavistock Publications (1984)
- Youth Unemployment and the Family: voices of disordered times, London: Routledge (with P Allatt, 1991)
- Women of Courage: 100 years of women factory inspectors, London: HMSO (1993)
- Changing Places: Women’s Lives in the City, London: Paul Chapman Publications (edited with C Booth and J Darke, 1996)
- Employed Carers and Family-friendly Employment Policies, Bristol: The Policy Press (with A Wigfield, R Crompton & J Dennett, 2002)
- Work to Welfare: how men become detached from the labour market, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press (edited with P Alcock, C Beatty, S Fothergill and R Macmillan, 2003)
- Line Managers and Family-Friendly Employment: Roles and Perspectives, Bristol: The Policy Press (with J Phillips, F Scheibl, S Wise and A Wigfield, 2003)
- Cash for Care in Developed Welfare States, London, Palgrave Macmillan (edited with C Ungerson, 2007)
- Policy for a Change: local labour market analysis and gender equality, Bristol: The Policy Press (2009)
- Combining Paid Work and Family Care, Bristol, The Policy Press (edited with T Kröger, forthcoming 2013)